Thank you ever so much for taking the time to peruse my humble website. Contrary to some Google searches, I am not a card trick, diarist Johanna Schopenhauer nor the Countess of Dunois.
I am also not:
- the beautiful Latvian model Ieva Lagūna wearing that elegant green low-cut dress as captured by photographer Koray Birand for Vogue (Greece) magazine in 2011. However, I have on occasion worn tweeds, boots and a floppy hat on my travels and I always turn out well for dinner
- on Pinterest (that’s someone else)
- a fat lady, a bag lady, the First Lady or Our Lady
- “Viv” on Blogspot
- a lonely heart from Austin, Texas
- a travel dating agency regardless of how similar our URLs appear to be
- a reviewer on Tripadvisor, although the website is my first port of call for travel advice and recommendations
- the well dressed Katie engaged/married to the equally well attired Ben on YouTube. I do run “The Lady Travels” channel on YouTube and I am on Instagram, but under @_theladytravels_. Someone else nabbed the obvious Instagram name to accompany my website
- Martha Maze
- an American theatre director and actress who has a collection of Texas-themed videos on YouTube that even feature my signature “…” in the title sequences. Huff! I have never even been to Texas
I believe my identity is actually irrelevant. I am simply a lady of habit, a bit of a snob, a young middle-ager, amateur photographer, striving documentary maker, terrible speller, wannabe wit, “cultural sightseer” (according to The Guardian Online), an “anomaly” (according to the rather flattering article about me at Travelpulse.com), and proud Londoner born & bred who loves to explore the delights and oddities of Europe… preferably on my own. There is nothing quite like throwing oneself into the unknown for a touch of solo adventure and exhilaration every once in a while. This is not because I want to ‘find’ myself, more a case of wanting to take a break from myself and my everyday routine. It’s a revitalising and unashamedly selfish experience I recommend to all.
I voted for ‘remain’ during the EU Referendum on the 23rd of June 2016 because I wanted to retain freedom of movement (admittedly for myself) across the continent. I was very disappointed that the majority of the UK who voted chose to leave the EU instead. I am still, and always will be proud to be British whatever my country’s future is. I am not a ‘remoaner’, have now recovered from the initial shock and accept that we have to leave the EU. The majority voted for it and democracy must prevail. However, I do want to be able to continue crossing EU borders with relative ease, and to avoid any problems as a result of Brexit I have rummaged through my Celtic heritage and will be acquiring an additional Irish-EU passport in due course.
This website is made up of my own photos and videos. My intention is merely to raise a smile, share my amateur experiences rather than to pretend to be an authority on travel, and to show off a bit. There are no adverts, cookies (none that I am aware of), spam nor any nasty viruses on this site. The links I include on my posts to other sites are for illustrative purposes only. I am not endorsing any sites, nor making any money from mentioning them.
Although I love filming and taking photos, I don’t particularly like taking film and photos of myself. As a result, there are no selfies of me anywhere on this website nor on any of my social media channels. The odd limb may occasionally appear in shot either to give a sense of scale or to illustrate how to straddle borders and be in more than one country at the same time which is one of my favourite travel past times.
So, I do hope you like what you find here and will leave a (nice) comment and/or come back again soon to read more. If you subscribe to my website I promise not to bombard you with emails, will not email you anything non-post related, and will certainly not pass your email address on to anyone else.
I ramble away on Twitter and Facebook as well, so if you fancy joining me there instead I’d be truly honoured. Links to all my social media channels can be found at the top right hand corner of this page.
All my films – which I film, produce, script, voice and edit myself – can be found on YouTube here, and any uploaded since June 2017 come with an additional subtitling version. Check my YouTube home page or follow the link at the start of my films to access them.
Lastly, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to ask me anything or just fancy an e-chat. I always reply personally via my hotmail account to any genuine comments left anywhere on this website, so do please check your junk folders if you are hoping for a reply.
TLT x The lady behind The Lady Travels
PS – people have asked me about my site’s home header image. It’s of a sculpture entitled “Brindille” by Roselyne Conil. I spotted Brindille sunbathing along the French coast between Cassis and Bandol.